Upgrading from 1.3.x.x to the newest release

Topics: Releases
Jan 2, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Edited Jan 2, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Hello,

I was using ImapX since end of 2011. At that time with version 1.3.something being current, it had a bunch of bugs regarding character sets and similar.
So today I decided to migrate to the newest release. My Software only reads the text of all unseen Emails from IMAP and marks certain messages as seen.

After changing the binaries and modifying the visual studio project settings, a bunch of code errors showed up. For example instead of ImapX.Message.MessageUid it is now called ImapX.Message.Uid and bunch of similar minor changes. Most of them made the code easier readable (Message.From.Items(0).Address -> Message.From.Address, ...).

The only problem I had was to find the proper var type for Dim messages as ImapX.MessageCollection = client.Folders("INBOX").Search("UNSEEN", True)
Today there is no ImapX.MessageCollection any more and Imapx.Collections.Messages doesn't fit. Thankfully vb.Net was ok with not declaring the type and instead use magic:
Dim messages = client.Folders("INBOX").Search("UNSEEN", True)

All in all I was able to keep all the existing code after some minor changes.

Thanks for your work! ImapX is great and the easiest to use and lightweight solution for my requirements.

PS: there are still some "bugs": when receiving an UTF-8 Email with special characters like "ä" or "ß",... the text from Message.Bode.Text has the wrong character set and instead only shows "?".