This project is read-only.

“Bad or not correct Path” error when just accessing Folders property

Topics: Help requests
Jul 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM
So I wrote a program that reads from an Exchange mailbox using ImapX for a client to parse information from emails. It has been working for weeks, but now throws the "Bad or not correct Path" error.

Usually this is from an incorrect name of a folder being passed in, so i just tried accessing the client.Folders property to see if maybe the name of the INBOX changed somehow, but it apparently doesn't even get to the point of reading in the path name and throws the error right when I try to access the list of folders itself.

This may be related, but I also can't send emails out now and get the following error when trying to send anything: "smtp 4.4.2 message submission rate for this client has exceeded the configured limit".

I don't have access to their exchange server, so I'm just waiting to hear back from them to see if there is anything on their side that can be done. Has anyone encountered this before or knows what the issue might be?
Jul 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM
If it helps, it's throwing the error in the Imap.cs file for GetFolders() when it tries to execute the following line:

SendAndReceive(command, ref arrayList)

The arrayList has one value in it that reads: "IMAP003 BAD Command received in Invalid state."
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Hi epatton,

"IMAP003 BAD Command received in Invalid state" says more about the error than your first post. The request for folders can only be done when the user is authenticated. Are you sure you're passing the authentication?

First of all I'd ask you to try connecting to your account using same machine, but different client, to see if you have access to your account.

Best regards,

Pavel Azanov
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Hey Pavel,

After finding that error, I started digging deeper into the other commands and found that it was returning false for the login. It turns out the client changed the email password for the account without letting us know... Thanks for your help!
Jul 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM
You're welcome! Happy you found it out.